Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Seven Quick Indicators of Disinformation















This list is a rough approximation of "Signs of Disinformation" from Russ Dizdar's podcast from 2014-07-07 (yes a year ago not a mistype). I think we all need to look at this list and think real hard on the various "fringe" conspiracy sites that dribble (mis)information as a self check. I know I do.
  1. Seems like info is a secret or semi secret
  2. Details but not enough to nail anything down
  3. Comes in pieces
  4. Leads to looking in wrong direction
  5. Leads to old/uncollaborated info
  6. Keeps you running in circles
  7. Leads you to a trap to set you up (discrediting, using you as a dupe, worse)

I won't name names of sites or "ministries", but I've been into the conspiracy game since I was 18. I've seen a lot during that time. Some popular sites / people immediately came to mind when reading this.

BTW, the picture above comes from the book, Disinformation: Former Spy Chief Reveals Secret Strategies for Undermining Freedom, Attacking Religion, and Promoting Terrorism

No comments: