Sunday, April 15, 2018

More Thoughts on Art Bell

I listened to many partial Art Bell shows in the late 90ies. Art was huge in AZ. So many of his shows I'd like to go back and mine for info still to this day, though I am well aware that much of the info was sketchy at best. Some of the topics though were serious enough and Art made a whole wealth of topics that were normally not talked about accessible to a whole new mass of people, for better or for worse. It was an interesting time the 90ies, with Art Bell, X-Files, and alt.conspiracy. Topics where explored with curiosity and humor (though I think people took things TOO lightly). People had open minds. People tolerated those with crazy points of view without hating them if they thought they were full of it.
Even the crazies were there to push the boundaries and challenge orthodox thinking. Today conspiracy theories flourish yet truth is even more obfuscated. The humility of wonder is lost now in the hard edge of "sh_t, some of this is true, now I'm going to hate everything". Some of that may even be justified, but I miss the simpler maybe more innocent times.
R.I.P. Art Bell. You professed a knowledge of God, I hope underneath it was a saving relationship with Christ. I hope all mysteries are made known to you now, or things are too wonderful to even care.

No comments: