Saturday, July 2, 2022

The Glass is Half Full

It isn't all bad.  2021 took it's toll on me.  The previous decade as well.  But in it all,  there are some good things.  Let's recap-

  • My health.  In around 2016 and again in 2019 I hit some major out of the blue problems.  Compared to Covid they were way worse.  At one point I called my parents and told them it was it.  I truly believe that as my body was starting to shut down and they didn't know what the hell was wrong with me other than my body just stopped sleeping.  If I got three hours of sleep a night it was amazing, most of the time it was less.  After a prolonged period of that I really started to suffer.  Other issues arose.  Anyway, fast forward to now.  I sleep OK, and some of my long standing health issues are going away.  My health is better than it has been in about 7 years.  That is a good turn.
  • I was literally one day from a homeless shelter.  As my marriage fell apart I had about 500 bucks in my bank account.  I decided I wouldn't beg for money.  I was going to take that last 500 bucks and head to a sporting goods store and buy some camping equipment, then head to Flagstaff and find a shelter and say fuck life.  Fast forward to now.  I did get a loan, got hired to a Sr position, and without asking they upped my pay by about 20k.  Due to the divorce I've struggled with the job, but it has provided me the income I need to survive and navigate through the divorce.  I also got a really nice apartment with a nice pool that my son loves, the apartment is dog friendly, and it is in a place that made it easy for me to shuffle my son up north and back every weekend.  
  • I had some friends rise up and stand with me during the divorce.  Where I was totally isolated living in the national park, getting back to the big city where I had some friends really helped out.  
  • I was lead to a good church which helped me whither the storm.
  • I met a few friends in my apartment complex so I have some people to chat with on occasion.  I'm not a big socialite but having a few people to say hello to and chat for ten minutes here and there make a huge difference in my quality of life.
  • My son is with me for the summer.
  • I am in Southern Arizona again.  That place has always been sort of magical for me.  The magic is fading as the state's population grows, but some of the magic is still there.  I enjoy glimpses of it when I see it.
There is still a lot of bad.  But it isn't all bad.  I expect some big hurdles coming.  Not sure how sustainable a few things are.  But God sustained me through this last year and a half, before that, and He will beyond that.  I should have died a few times over the past seven years but each time I was spared.  God has something for me down here.  I just need to pursue His will and I will get by and maybe even do more than get by.  My eyes need to be on God's kingdom though.  I look at my time here now as bonus time...I'm in OT, I still have a chance to participate in what God is up to around me if I want, hopefully I will be wise enough to do so.

No comments: